<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, March 19, 2004

Thoughts on Friday 

Between advisers eyeing March Madness nervously and attending a Knicks game (and figuring out the numbering system on the New York subway), it's been a busy day.

A few notes:

Design: I critiqued four newspapers today, and it was amazing how many students had not been exposed to Tim Harrower's excellent News Designers Handbook. Dominant art and heirarchical headlines seemed to be the biggest culprits. Lots of tabloids showed up in the critiques, and also in the exchange tables. These people are ahead of the game in what Mario Garcia calls the future of journalism layout: tabloids. Still, lots of need for design training. Going into the critique sessions, I wondered if I'd have enough to fill 30 minutes. At the end, I was wishing I had an hour!

CMA: There are plenty of opportunities to get involved. I haven't met a nicer group of people in 20 years of journalism. I came to the conference to just meet some people and get my face out there. I ended up participating in a panel on online newspapers, judging the online Apple Awards, delivering some AV equipment, and being set up for a presentation on plagiarism in Nashville, not to mention sitting in on the CMA advisory committee luncheon.

Presentations: I didn't see any today! But there were over 1,000 people here listening to pros and advisers give wise counsel on ways to perfect this craft. CMA conventions are definitely worthwhile. I'm amazed at the diversity of campuses represented. Everyone from community colleges to the largest dailies. There's something for everyone.

Now, on a lighter note, my condolences to everyone who had Florida over Manhattan in their brackets. :-)

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?